Through 2 Quarters
The Philadelphia 76ers were expected to win this one, and so far that’s exactly how it’s playing out. They are in control with a 62-50 lead over the Houston Rockets.
Center Joel Embiid has led the way so far for the 76ers, as he has 23 points and three assists in addition to seven rebounds. Houston hasn’t had any offensive standouts so far with all players held to 11 points or fewer.
Philadelphia @ Houston
Current Records: Philadelphia 22-16; Houston 11-30
What to Know
The Houston Rockets haven’t won a game against the Philadelphia 76ers since Jan. 3 of 2020, but they’ll be looking to end the drought on Monday. Houston is getting right back to it as they host Philadelphia at 8 p.m. ET Jan. 10 at Toyota Center. The Rockets need to shore up a defense that is allowing 116.51 points per contest.
The matchup between Houston and the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday was not a total blowout, but with Houston falling 141-123 at home, it was darn close to turning into one. Houston was down 111-88 at the end of the third quarter, which was just too much to recover from. A silver lining for them was the play of power forward Christian Wood, who had 22 points in addition to eight boards.
Meanwhile, while not quite a landslide, the contest between the 76ers and the San Antonio Spurs this past Friday was still a pretty decisive one as Philadelphia wrapped it up with a 119-100 victory at home. Philadelphia can attribute much of their success to power forward Tobias Harris, who had 23 points and five assists along with seven rebounds, and center Joel Embiid, who dropped a double-double on 31 points and 12 boards along with seven dimes. The matchup made it Embiid’s sixth in a row with at least 31 points.
Houston is expected to lose this next one by 9.5. They have failed bettors playing the spread in their past two games, so buyers beware.
Houston found themselves the reluctant recipients of an unpleasant 133-113 punch to the gut against Philadelphia in the teams’ previous meeting earlier this month. Maybe the Rockets will have more luck at home instead of on the road? Watch the game and check back on CBS Sports for all the details.
How To Watch
- When: Monday at 8 p.m. ET
- Where: Toyota Center — Houston, Texas
- TV: ATTSN Southwest
- Online streaming: fuboTV (Try for free. Regional restrictions may apply.)
- Follow: CBS Sports App
- Ticket Cost: $25.60
The 76ers are a big 9.5-point favorite against the Rockets, according to the latest NBA odds.
The oddsmakers had a good feel for the line for this one, as the game opened with the 76ers as a 9-point favorite.
Houston have won seven out of their last 13 games against Philadelphia.
- Jan 03, 2022 – Philadelphia 133 vs. Houston 113
- May 05, 2021 – Philadelphia 135 vs. Houston 115
- Feb 17, 2021 – Philadelphia 118 vs. Houston 113
- Aug 14, 2020 – Philadelphia 134 vs. Houston 96
- Jan 03, 2020 – Houston 118 vs. Philadelphia 108
- Mar 08, 2019 – Houston 107 vs. Philadelphia 91
- Jan 21, 2019 – Philadelphia 121 vs. Houston 93
- Oct 30, 2017 – Philadelphia 115 vs. Houston 107
- Oct 25, 2017 – Houston 105 vs. Philadelphia 104
- Jan 27, 2017 – Houston 123 vs. Philadelphia 118
- Nov 14, 2016 – Houston 115 vs. Philadelphia 88
- Mar 09, 2016 – Houston 118 vs. Philadelphia 104
- Nov 27, 2015 – Houston 116 vs. Philadelphia 114
Injury Report for Houston
- Eric Gordon: Out (Groin)
- Trevelin Queen: Out (Personal)
- Armoni Brooks: Out (Covid-19)
- Alperen Sengun: Out (Ankle)
- John Wall: Out (Not Injury Related)
Injury Report for Philadelphia
- Seth Curry: Out (Ankle)
- Shake Milton: Out (Back)
- Paul Reed: Out (Covid-19)
- Tyrese Maxey: Out (Covid-19)
- Jaden Springer: Out (Illness)